Packing List for Ghana
Packing List for Ghana
What to pack for your trip can be the most stressful part in embarking on a dream trip, here at grassroots we’ve got you covered. The following is a typical list of what might be required while you are in Ghana. If you are not traveling in a private car, then be certain to pack light.
- Soft hold-all bag for excursions
- Smaller travel/overnight bag or day pack for traveling
- Lightweight backpack if traveling via public transit
White clothing is not recommended because it is impossible to keep clean. Ghana is a dusty place.
- Smart-casual outfit – 1 set
- Outdoor summer clothing in natural fibres – 3 sets
- Light-weight cotton long pants – 2 pair: For cool evenings or to use as sun screen.
- Comfortable walking shoes / sandals – 1 pair each
- Undershirt / singlet – Not to keep you warm, but to keep the sweat from showing so much.
- Underwear – 4 to 6 sets
- Swimwear: Only wear this at beach or poolside.
- Sarong or multi-purpose cotton wrap-around: Useful also as sun screen or dust cover for cameras.
- Towel / face cloth / bandana / handkerchief
- Hat in neutral tones
- Flashlight/torch or head lamp / 2 sets of batteries
- Camera equipment / extra lithium batteries
- Dust-free camera bag (Zip-lock bag is fine)
- Extra battery, battery pack/power bank or solar charger for phone
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant (not antiperspirant), shaver, brush & comb, moisturizing cream, decongestant, anti-fungal.
- Sunscreen lotion/sun block, lip-aid and floss: These are particularly difficult to obtain in Ghana.
- Prescription drugs/small private medical kit (pain killers, plasters, anti-septic spray) / contraceptives / tampons
- Contact lenses / lens fluid / spare glasses
- Malaria tablets
- Insect repellent (containing DEET is best)
- Passport / visas / travel documents
- Pen / notebook / travel diary
- Cash in Cedis for personal expenses, tips & gratuities. Traveler’s cheques and credit cards are difficult to use.
- Pocket knife
- Duct tape – highly versatile!
- Plastic raincoat or poncho
- Items for bartering at markets or tips for good service
- Bandanas, hats, anything with a logo
- T/shirts, clothing or stationery
- Your smart phones are safe just like anywhere keep your items in check